White Gold Diamond Rings
by Steve Theunissen
WHITE GOLD DIAMOND RINGS
White gold diamond rings are becoming an ever increasingly popular choice for as wedding bands. What many people don’t realize about white gold diamond rings, however, is that white gold does not exist naturally. It is, in fact, a manmade product. It was introduced during World War Two as a replacement for platinum. This was because platinum was officially designated as a resource for the war effort.
The properties that are so admired in white gold diamond rings, therefore, derive from the white metals used in its manufacture – alloys of palladium, silver, palladium and nickel. Nickel, however, has been known to cause unpleasant reactions in people and, so, very few white gold diamond rings today will have nickel in them. Alloys of silver are very strong and more often used in simple bands. Alloys of palladium, however, are very malleable and used more frequently for bands which hold stones such as white gold diamond rings.
White gold is actually grey steel-like in appearance. The white appearance that finished white gold diamond rings exhibit is due to electroplating with rhodium. Rhodium is used because it has strong reflective and tarnish proof qualities. After several years of wear, white gold diamond rings usually begin to show a slight yellowish discoloration. This is due to the eroding of the rhodium finish. Wearers should take their white gold diamond rings in to their jeweler to have a new coat of rhodium electroplated into their ring.
So, then, apart from the aesthetics, are there any other benefits to selecting white gold diamond rings over more conventional rings like platinum? There are, indeed. Consider the following advantages of selecting white gold diamond rings:
- White gold diamond rings are stronger than platinum rings
- White gold diamond rings are more rigid than platinum rings
- White gold diamond rings are half the price of platinum rings
- White gold diamond rings wear better and last longer than both platinum and gold.
Once you decide to invest in white gold diamond rings, it pays to know how to look after them. Here are some quick tips on caring for white gold diamond rings:
- Rather than storing your white gold diamond rings against a hard surface, wrap them in a cloth or a piece of velvet. This will prevent the ring from losing it’s luster.
- Clean your white gold diamond rings in soapy water, adding a little ammonia. If you don’t want to risk accidental scratching get your white gold diamond rings cleaned ultrasonically.
- Do not get cosmetic products on your white gold diamond rings, as they may cause gradual damage over time. For this reason apply your make-up before applying your ring to your finger.
- If you want to get the sparkle back into your white gold diamond rings, soak them in a glass of vodka.
One final piece of advice regarding white gold diamond rings – get them insured. You may think that it will never happen to you, but it’s happening to people just like you every day. So pay that little bit extra for peace of mind. Then you can relax and enjoy your white gold diamond rings with no worries at all.
More Articles by Steve Theunissen