||The incidence of diabetes in the United States has risen to staggering
heights. You can cut your risk of diabetes with a few simple life-style
changes. Try adding one of these per week or every other week. You
will be surprised by your improvement!
- Eliminate processed foods from your diet, especially white
sugar and white flour products. These products dramatically stimulate
the production of insulin in the body and over time will promote the
vicious cycle of high and low blood sugar levels.
- Include all unprocessed foods in your diet, such as proteins,
complex and unrefined carbohydrates, vegetables, whole grains and
legumes (beans and bean products) especially soy based products.
- Eat foods that support digestion. In other words, avoid overly
greasy foods, ice cold drinks, alcohol, raw and uncooked foods, hot,
peppery foods, coffee, and too much fruit. Avoid daily juice drinks
since these also overly stimulate the production of insulin.
- Stop drinking sodas. Sodas are acidic in nature and loaded
with sugar and chemicals. Sodas are detrimental to both the digestion
and source of your energy.
- Find some type of exercise that you really enjoy and just
do it! Pumping iron is not for everyone. You would probably
benefit most from some kind of cardiovascular exercise to keep to
blood moving, like swimming, yoga, stretching, and bicycling. Take
a walk every day.
- If you live with a dog or cat, play with them daily. Animals
live in the moment and love to play. This is a great way to break
stressful daily routines.
- Practice Chinese self massage every morning by stimulating
the acupoints on the body and limbs to help promote the flow of qi
and blood in the channels.
- Learn how to really relax. This means bodily relaxation as
well as mental repose. Take advantage of the many spiritual resources,
books and tapes out there.
- Take a look at the old habits and patterns of your life and ask
yourself what you can do to make your life better. Take
up tasks and hobbies that are interesting to you and break the normal
routine of your day.
- If you know that you have too much stress in your life, then
find a solution. This may be finding a new job or new, more supportive
relationships. Understand that stress alone can kill you, and if you
smoke and consume alcohol to escape stressful situations, you are
only fooling yourself.
- Find a Chinese medical practitioner who can help you maintain
good health with Chinese medicinals and acupuncture. If you visit
with a practitioner on a regular basis, before you become ill, then
you avoid many other more serious problems later. Remember that the
strong suit of Traditional Chinese Medicine is prevention.
* Want more? Read:
Diabetes Type II, Diet, and Lifestyle Q&A.
LYNN M. KUCHINSKI has practiced Chinese
herbal medicine and acupuncture in Albuquerque, NM since 1994. She specializes
in the treatment of digestive disorders and gynecological complaints.
Her favorite pastime is translating Chinese medicine and she has had
several articles and translations published in English-language journals
and newsletter on Chinese medicine in both the US and England. Controlling
Diabetes Naturally with Chinese Medicine is her first published