Brian is an author of
international renown and public speaker. He is currently
writing two books: Practical Prevention & Optimal Living
with Chinese Medicine, and Chinese Medicine and Infertility.
Brian practices acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine
in sunny San Diego, California.
Looking for the most effective vitamin for fertility? Find it
Fertility is an exceedingly complex process that involves both
male and female physiology. Although there are many causes for
infertility, and you should consult with both conventional western
MDs and acupuncturist/herbalists, there are certain supplements
that are essential, important, or helpful to fertility
in all couples.
This first group is essential. If you can't choose
to take every vitamin for fertility, choose from these first.
- Selenium is an essential vitamin for fertility
- actually, it's a mineral! Not having enough leads to low sperm
count and has been linked to sterility.
- Vitamin C is another essential vitamin for fertility.
It's involved in sperm production, keeps them from clumping
together, and keeps them moving (motile).
- Vitamin E is an essential vitamin for fertility.
It's one key for balanced hormone production, and carries oxygen
to the sex organs.
- Zinc is another essential vitmain for fertility
- it's a mineral like selenium. It's involved in the proper
function of the reproductive organs.
This second group is important. If you can't choose
to take every vitamin for fertility, choose from these second.
- DMG is an important vitamin for fertility. It
increases oxygen supply in the blood that goes to all tissues,
including the reproductive organs.
- Octacosanol is an important vitamin for fertility.
It's the heart of wheat germ, and helps in the production of
This third group of vitamins is helpful. Choose
from these last.
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are a helpful vitamin
for fertility. They're for normal glandular function and activity,
especially in the reproductive system.
- Manganese, which should be taken separately from Calcium,
is a helpful vitamin for fertility. It maintains normal
sex hormone production.
- Vitamin A, with either natural beta-carotene or carotenoid
complex, is a helpful vitamin for fertility. It's key
for proper function of the reproductive glands.
- Vitamin B Complex, with extra B5 and B6, is also a
helpful vitamin for fertility. It maintains reproductive
gland function, while B5 maintains sex hormone production, and
B6 is required for genetic synthesis.
Other Vitamin for Fertility options for Men
- Carnitine, arginine, zinc, selenium, and vitamin B-12 have
been shown to improve sperm counts and sperm motility.
- Numerous antioxidant vitamin for fertility have also proven
beneficial in treating male infertility, such as vitamin C,
vitamin E, glutathione, and coenzyme Q10.
Vitamin for Fertility Scientific References:
- Sinclair S. Male
infertility: nutritional and environmental considerations.
Altern Med Rev. 2000 Feb;5(1):28-38. Review.
- Davis RE. Clinical
chemistry of vitamin B12. Adv Clin Chem. 1985;24:163-216.
- Jameson S. Zinc
status in pregnancy: the effect of zinc therapy on perinatal
mortality, prematurity, and placental ablation. Ann N Y
Acad Sci. 1993 Mar 15;678:178-92. Review.
- Balch. Prescriptions for Nutrtional Healing. 1997