I like to call him 'Jack
Of course, that's his son's name, too.
Who is Gilbert Grape? Hmm...
Who's the coolest actor from 21 Jumpstreet? Oops, too easy.
Who's the actor with hair most like Robert Smith of the
Who's amazingly successful in Hollywood and a real actor,
not just another pretty face?
Oh! That's right... Johnny Depp.
Birthdate: John Christopher Depp II
Birth Name: June 9, 1963
Birthplace: Owensboro, Kentucky
- "I'm going to do only the things that I want to do, interesting
things and things that stimulate me."
- "One of the most incredible moments I've ever had was
sitting in Vincent [Price]'s trailer...I was showing him this
first-edition book I have of the complete works of Poe--with
really amazing illustrations. Vincent was going nuts over the
drawings, and he started talking about The Tomb of Ligeia. Then
he closed the book and began to recite it to me in this beautiful
voice, filling the room with huge sounds. Such passion! I looked
in the book later, and it was verbatim. Word perfect. It was
a great moment. I'll never forget that." --movieline, October
One more Johnny Depp picture for ya. Oh, and there's some other
guy in it, too.
America's Acupuncturist still hasn't gotten Johnny
to quit those cigarettes,
though at least he doesn't smoke around the kids. Matt kept commenting
on my hair all night. I think he might have had more than just
Links to more Johnny Depp pictures:
Johnny Depp's bio/history
- Born John Christopher Depp in Owensboro, Kentucky, on June
- Raised in Florida, he dropped out of school at age 15 in hopes
of becoming a rock musician. He fronted a series of garage bands,
including The Kids, which once opened for Iggy Pop. Depp got
into acting after a visit to LA with his former wife, who introduced
him to actor Nicolas Cage.
- He made his film debut in 1984's A Nightmare on Elm Street.
- In 1987, he shot to fame when he replaced Jeff Yagher in the
role of undercover cop Tommy Hanson in the popular TV series
21 Jump Street.
- In 1990, after numerous roles in teen films, his first of
a few great collaborations with director Tim Burton came about
when he portrayed the title role in Edward Scissorhands.
- Following the film's success, Depp carved a niche for himself
as a serious, somewhat dark, idiosyncratic performer, consistently
selecting roles that surprise critics and audiences alike.
- He continued to gain critical acclaim and increasing popularity
by appearing in many features before re-joining with Burton
in the lead role of Ed Wood.
- In 1997, he played the undercover FBI agent in the factually
based film, Donnie Brasco, opposite Al Pacino; in 1998 he appeared
in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and then in 1999 he appeared
in the Sci-fi horror, The Astronaut's Wife. The same year, he
teamed up again with Burton in Sleepy Hollow, brilliantly portraying
- Depp has played many characters in his career including another
factually based character, Inspector Fred Abberline in From
- He stole the show from screen greats such as Antonio Banderas
in the finale to Robert Rodriguez's Mariachi trilogy Once Upon
a Time in Mexico (2003) the same year as the marvelous family
blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black
Pearl playing a character that only the likes of Depp could
pull off... Captain Jack Sparrow.
- Depp has been announced as joining up again with Tim Burton
in the screen adaptation of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate
- Apart from his on-screen life Depp has dated several female
celebrities off-screen, including failed engagements to Jennifer
Gray, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss. He was married to Lori Anderson
in 1983 but then divorced in 1985.
- Currently Depp is living with French singer/actress Vanessa
Paradis with whom he has two children; Lily-Rose Melody born
in 1999 and Jack born in 2002.